Chicken with Orzo
A Greek classic. Chicken and orzo with fresh olive oil and tomatoes is Mediterranean comfort food at its best. An ideal Sunday night meal.
- 1 chicken, cleaned, seasoned and cut into portions
- 1 pack orzo
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tin of tomatoes (fresh tomatoes preferred if available)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and brown the onion. Add the chicken portions and stir for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Add tomato, garlic and bayleaf and 1 cup of water or stock. Simmer until all the water is absorbed and chicken is tender. Add more water if required.
- Remove chicken and add orzo and 3 cups of water or stock.
- Bring orzo to a simmer in the liquid and stir every 5 minutes until liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender.
- Remove from heat and serve in a plate with the chicken. Add grated cheese on top if desired.