Beet, Blueberry & Kale Salad
Your favorite summer fruit deserves a turn on the barbecue. It’s sweet, smoky—and a lot easier than pie!
- 1 bunch of beets (with leaves)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper & sea salt
Salad & Dressing
- Beet leaves
- 1/2 bunch of kale
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (100 g) fresh blueberries
- 100 g feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F | 190°C.
- Remove beets leaves and put aside. Wash beets and cut off the end bits, there is no need to peel the beets. Cut beets into 4 cm cubes and spread on a baking dish. Coat with olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Roast for 40 minutes, turning once or twice, until the beets are soft and cooked through.
Salad & Dressing
- While the beets cook, wash & pat dry the beet and kale leaves. Remove the stems from the kale and discard, finely chop the leaves. Thinly slice the beet leaves. Place all the greens in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, finely chopped garlic cloves, salt & pepper. Stir to combine and adjust to taste, if desired.
- Pour dressing over beet & kale leaves and massage into the leaves with your hands to ensure it is well coated. Note: Don’t wait to add the dressing, the earlier you put it on the greens the better as it will soften them so they are tastier and easier to digest.
- Place chopped walnuts in a dry fry pan on medium-high heat. There is no need to add any oil to the pan as the nuts have enough oil on their own to cook. Toast for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until nuts turn golden.
- Top greens with roasted beets, toasted walnuts, blueberries and crumbled feta cheese.
This recipe has been provided by Shannon Proulx – The Glorious Kitchen.